The level of maintenance you will do will be dependent on
the size of your pond, fish/plants in your pond, time and
budget. I can help you design a maintenance program that
will take into account each of these elements.
The following is the monthly maintenance we perform on our
pond to keep the water clear and the fish healthy. This
regiment is a result of working with several experts and
learning first hand with my pond.
- Check dissolved oxygen levels. Using an ORP meter,
looking for a reading above 250 mV. If less than 250
for two days, perform 25% water change, clean
skimmers, back flush filters, increase water flow,
increase aeration. If levels have not increased with
two-three days, you may want to use Ponds Plus
Water Clarifier to sanitize the pond of free floating
organics and Mulm. Water Clarifier is Potassium
Permanganate and should be used with caution.
Please click here for instructions on its usage.
- Check Ammonia - want to be 0 PPM. Lamotte Test
Kit. If more than 1 PPM for one day, perform 25%
water change, ensure skimmers are clean, back flush
filters, stop feeding fish, remove all dead plant debris
and add additional EZ-2.
- PH - maintain below 8.4. Check with Hanna PH Pen.
PH Salts down to lower.
- Salt levels - Maintain at 0.10 - .15%. Check with Koi
Salinity Meter. Add salt of 1 pound per 100 gallons.
- Nitrites - want to be 0 PPM. Check with LaMotte Test
Kit. If high, perform 25% water change and add 5
times recommended amount of Nitrifier and ensure
salt levels are at least 0.1. Salt levels 0f 0.1 should
keep fish from getting nitrite poisoning.
- Phosphates - Want to be 0 PPM. Check with LaMotte
Test Kit. Baraclear can be used to reduce
- Add EZ-2 beneficial bacteria to bio filter. Preventive
maintenance for plantonic (green water) algae.
Improves the pond nitrification cycle by reducing
ammonia and nitrites by breaking down organic waste
materials. Dissolves over foods, waste matter and
- Add Ponds Plus Clarity-Max Plus. Preventive
maintenance for string algae and other types of algae
that grow on rocks, plants and filters. I use D-Solve to
spot treat if necessary.
- Add Baking Soda to bio filter. Buy at Kroger, Farmer
- At least a 10% water change. 25% when it is hot.
- Add Koi Zym - combat BAD bacteria.
- Add Nitrifier - Increases beneficial bacteria counts in
colony. Improves bacteria counts that convert
ammonia to nitrite.
- Treat with Water Clarifier. Using ORP, I keep reading
between 475 and 550 for at least two hours. Combats
Parasites and BAD Bacteria. Only if necessary. 25%
water change after Water Clarifier treatment. Please
call me if you want more information regarding the
usage of water clarifier. It is a great treatment to clean
up free floating organic materials, green algae, and
reduce bacteria's. I will more than glad to assist you
- Add ProForm-C or Green Stuff.
- Fish Saver to combat parasites
- Baraclear to manage phosphates
- Add Barley straw pellets